Saturday, February 9, 2019

Wonderland - 13

Shota/Els
_

Aizawa rifled through the paperwork on his desk. There had been enough signatures and general support for him to submit the hire request to Nezu, but he was worried. There was a small constituency that appeared to dislike Cheshire. Her files showed that she had been diagnosed with a mental illness at an early age, and some thought someone like that helping students was a bad idea. Not everyone would like her, of course. It was ridiculous to think that she was universally adored. He hoped it wouldn't disturb her if she found out.

He was placing everything in his satchel when Midnight poked her head around the corner.

"I was just leaving." He shrugged it over his shoulder and headed out the door.

"Were those the petitions?"

"Yes."

"I'm sorry I didn't sign, but she just... I don't know. At first I was happy to see you with someone." She shrugged. "I tried to ask her to go places with me and she keeps refusing! Pisses me off." She pouted, crossing her arms.

"I always get out of social engagements."

"Yeah, but that's like... you. Plus she was just fine that first day! I just feel like she's got something to hide." 

"Nemuri."

Midnight poked him in the chest. "Listen, she might be trouble. I heard she's not quite right. That "insanity" bit goes a lot deeper than just a name."

He stared at her blandly, but his heart sank as she spoke. "I have to go," was all he said. Aizawa met Elly outside the front door to the main building and they walked back to his apartment together.

"Midnight thinks you're avoiding her," he grunted as he threw his capture thread on the table. 

"Oh? Nemuri?" Elly wrinkled her nose in distaste. "I'm not overly fond of her. I don't - I just don't really like women, and she's pushy." She folded her ears back and turned away from him.

"Yes." Aizawa grasped her arm and tugged. "Look at me, Ches. I've heard enough from you to know you've had a rough past. You don't need to talk about it right now, but I would like to learn more about you."

Her eyes suddenly filled with tears. "Everyone hates me, don't they."

"What?" 

"It's okay. It always happens." She rubbed her eyes roughly with her arm. "I don't know why."

"No one 'hates' you, Ches. They're just concerned because you're new."

"And crazy."

He sighed. "You are the Insanity Hero."

"I'm bipolar, damn it. Sure, it's in my files. Everyone knows. But I'm not a monster!" He felt the tension in her arm and rubbed gently. "I'm like you, Sho," she said. "I don't like parties or girls night outings and shit like that. People always think I'm stuck up or something when I refuse to go. Why can't they accept it like they do for you?"

"You're not a monster," he agreed. "You know why they act the way they do. You're different."

"Ugh." She flicked her tail in disgust. "Everybody is different. I wish people would see that. I thought they would here."

"Most of the staff do; they signed the papers. Enough to place the idea before the board."

"Will it be enough?"

"I don't know."

No comments:

Post a Comment