Saturday, February 23, 2019

Nekotonezumi - 8

After viewing several shops later the next day, the human at her side was looking grim.

"This is inconceivable. That last place - that jewelry. You really didn't..?"

"I didn't take anything because I didn't do anything."

Aizawa's pale features turned a shade whiter. "I - I think you're right."

"What?" 

"The pieces were sold to that last jeweler. He didn't admit it, but the necklace was described to me when I took the job to bring you in. They were most upset about its loss." 

"Yes." 

"You were reluctant from the start to use your demonic skill. And because you didn't, I caught you. I think I would have done everything in my power to prevent being brought back if it were me. Most demons do."

"Of course they do. But my 'talent' is abhorrent. At least I find it so." She shuddered. 

"And the child... you risked more pain for someone you didn't know. And this. I think I was wrong."

Elly swayed on her feet and he swore, grabbing her about the waist before she could fall. "Damn it, cat! What the hell is wrong with you?!"

"Wrong?" She shook her head in a daze. "You just... you believe me?"

He thrust out his lower lip in a firm pout. "Maybe."

"No, you do. You really do."

"Even <i>if</i> I did -"

She scoffed. "You do."

"If I did, how do you explain your involvement?"

She lifted her face to smile sadly at him. "You know the answer to that, mouse. I was there. That's all it takes for humans to blame us for any wrongs they commit."

"Shit." He balled his hand into a fist and struck his leg. "We can't retrieve the stolen goods. I don't have enough money to buy it."

"It wouldn't matter, anyway."

He offered her his hand as they began the trip back to the inn. "If we had that, we could have evidence of your innocence. The item wasn't destroyed to feed your demonic power as they thought."

"Wouldn't matter, I'm telling you." She sighed bitterly. "They would simply say I hadn't done it yet."

"And my word that I found it in the shop..."

"You?" She laughed, a strained sound. They had entered their room and stood standing in the middle with the window open and a fragrant breeze blowing in.  "You've clearly fallen for my demonic charms and can't be trusted."

He scowled angrily, his hand closing tighter on her own. Elly moved her tail nervously, unfastening it from about her waist where it had been masquerading as a furry belt. "Stupid cat," he growled, reaching out with his other hand.

"Filthy mouse!" Her eyes flashed in rage. How dare he hurt and even frighten her, and now give her hope she might be set free? She reminded herself that all humans did was cause pain.

He caught her freed waist in that hand and pulled her towards him like he had last night. This time, however, he didn't move away when their noses almost touched. Elly's eyes showed considerable anxiety as he let go of her hand to grip her chin tightly. They stared at each other, chests heaving, each one caught in a grip of paralyzing emotions. 

There was no telling how long they stood in that strange embrace when they heard a polite knock on their door panel. They jumped apart, each blushing wildly. Elly whisked her tail back into a makeshift accessory as he cleared his throat.

"Yes?"

No comments:

Post a Comment