Saturday, February 23, 2019

Send Help

Jizashi/Els
_
Hizashi backed up, his phone held tightly in one hand. "I have a situation here, Thirteen. What? It's critical, yeah, there's smoke everywhere, several fatalities... yeah. Yeah! Send help!"

He waved a hand in front of his face to clear the smoke, coughing. Damn. At least there was his backup, right on time.

"Oh my god, Mic!" Thirteen used their black hole quirk to suck up all the thick smog. 

"I know." He hung his head, defeated. 

On the stove in front of them was a burnt, unidentifiable mass smoldering in a pan. Several vegetables were cut up in uneven, lumpy chunks on the counter and a bottle of what appeared to be teriyaki sauce had spilled and was dripping onto the floor.

"And your hands?"

He held up his hands sheepishly, wiggling the fingers. Multiple bandages covered them. "I, uh, I'm not good at cooking. Really not good at it."

"Then why?"

He pouted, thrusting his lower lip out. "I wanted to make dinner for Ches."

"You know... you might be getting a little ahead of yourself. Try starting with something you like. Something you know."

He sighed and nodded. "Thanks. Now I just have to get this cleaned up and figure out what I know in time."

An hour later Elly opened the door to their apartment, smiling when she saw her boyfriend nervously setting a vase of cherry blossoms on the table. "Hi, honey."

He squealed happily and flung his arms around her. "Welcome home." He kissed her cheek and grinned when she automatically turned to find his lips. "Mmmn. Someone's thrilled to see me." He squeaked when she grabbed his ass. "Yep! Very glad!"

"Oh, hell yeah." She took her boots off by the door and padded barefoot to the couch.

"Good. Tell me about it - why'd you stay late?" He slipped into the kitchen and began taking out things from various drawers and cabinets.

"Ugh. Be glad I took that one student out of your class ...they needed some serious help. I think it's an imbalance in their diet, honestly. Things like that happen to the herbivore anthros. I spent the whole time trying to impress on them the importance of eating right." 

"I worked really hard on dinner tonight, too."

She smiled and looked over only to notice his hands for the first time. "Oh my god, Zashi - what happened to your poor fingers?!"

"Oh. Heh heh." He placed them behind his back, blushing. "I had a couple accidents with the kitchen knives. Nothing serious," he added when she almost fell off the couch trying to reach him too quickly.

"You promise they're just little ones?" She fretted, climbing back up. 

"Chiyo could help in a second, I promise. That makes them pretty much papercuts. I just didn't know you could cut yourself on the backs of the knives!"

"Well, if you say you're okay... I still want to see them later."

"Yes, dear." He opened the refrigerator and took a few more things out. "But listen, okay? I tried so hard for you, baby. But I did have some accidents. And that's when I thought of the perfect idea." He set an elaborate glass bowl on the counter. "I'm'a make you a sundae!"

Elly's ears snapped upright and she bit her lip to contain a fit of giggling. "For dinner?"

"Hey, I'm working with what I know." He bent forward, his necklaces swinging as he pointed double finger guns at her. "And I know ice cream!"

"And you know I can't refuse you. Okay, work your magic. I'm going to change." She got up and walked down the hall, blowing him a kiss as she went.

She was shocked when she came back out in a t-shirt and lounge pants. 

"Zashi, holy shit, it's like a work of art!" Elly could only stare in awe at the massive pile of ice cream. The scoops were all vanilla, drizzled with strawberry topping. Rainbow sprinkles topped the peaks, a couple of white chocolate strawberries were dipped into each side and as she peeked lower she saw he had decorated the bottom of the bowl with vanilla cookies.

He grinned and produced two spoons like a magician doing a trick. "I love you, babe."

No comments:

Post a Comment