Saturday, February 23, 2019

Nekotonezumi - 9

"Excuse me, but I thought I recognized you from people's descriptions." The woman placed a hand on his arm. "Are you the one that hunts demons?"

He squinted at her. "Who wants to know?"

"Well, not too far away a village was rumored to have had the dead rise from their graves."

Elly tensed but he shook his head, warning her. She moved behind him. "I know. I've was sent to bring back the demon that did it."

The woman pursed her lips, her brow furrowed. "A nobleman's grave was torn wide open, and some family heirlooms were taken, but it wasn't a demon." She looked earnestly over at Elly. "I saw two very human thieves commit the crime, but no one believed me when I spoke."

"Mouse..."

"Hush, cat." He gave her a very stern look. 

"I know you were at the jewelers. You saw the necklace. I - I didn't know what to do about it, but I didn't want you risking your life to catch a demon if it wasn't warranted."

Elly gagged and he inconspicuously elbowed her in the belly. "Ack!"

The woman eyed her curiously. "The rumors were that you worked with only a demon familiar."

"He's nearby." He thought hard, pacing in the small room. "The necklace won't be proof enough to the villagers that it wasn't a demon. I need to bring the creature in as I promised."

"Well... all right. I'm sorry I bothered you. I just thought maybe it might help."

"Oh, it did." He walked her to the door and nodded to her. 

"You gave them your word."

He sighed deeply. "Yes."

The bottle at his side suddenly wiggled, and Hizashi coalesced into form. "Aizawa, you know she's innocent. You have proof and a witness."

"I gave the people my word, Hizashi."

"To hell with your word!" Thunder rumbled in the distance as he grew furious at his master. "I'll not let you take her back to be tortured for no reason other than to satisfy your honor!"

"Calm down." 

"Hizashi," she said softly. "I think we need to talk about this, alone."

He spluttered in rage but Aizawa pointed at the bottle firmly, and he had no choice but to cram himself back in. 

She sat down in defeat. "You're going to bring me in anyway."

"I can't go back on my word." He knelt beside her, one hand unfastening his hair so it swept down over his shoulders.

"What does it do to your honor if an innocent suffers?" She shook her head when he would have answered. "No. I don't care. Don't try and explain it, please. I thought... but no. They hurt. All humans do is hurt."

"Cat, listen to me."

"Please don't force me to do anything. I know you can. I'll go back to the village. I won't fight. Just please don't  - no more hope, okay? No more..."

He cried out in a suffocating mix of rage and confusion, throwing his arms about her. "You're so fucking irritating!"

No comments:

Post a Comment