Wednesday, February 20, 2019

The Scare

Hizashi/Els
_

Mic leaned down and kissed his girlfriend on the forehead. "Hey, princess. Wanna get lunch?" A few students nearby hooted at them and he pointed but stayed where he was with one arm wrapped around her waist. 

Elly leaned into his embrace, snuggling under his neck gear. "I don't feel well today, Mikey. I don't know if I'm coming down with something or what..." She groaned. "I'm kind of hungry but I'm so nauseous."

The Voice Hero showed immediate concern, his brows drawing together tightly. "Hey, weren't you sick a few days ago, too?"

"Yeah." She burped, daintily covering her mouth. "I woke up and just felt really..."

He had gone quite a few shades paler than normal as she rambled on. "Ohmigod."

"...really shitty, and I ended up having to eat breakfast sooner. I think I was just hungry that d - hey! What's going on? Where are we going?"

"We need to buy something. "

"I told you, I'm not sure I can eat anyth-"

"No food. Not yet." He held her hand as they speed-walked out of the school. 

Of course, he hadn't realized the ramifications of buying what they needed in full hero costume. He stopped half way into the health section of the mini mart and choked.

"What is it?" 

"We can't just..." He swore under his breath. "Screw it. If someone wants to make a big deal out of this, they can go for it." He grabbed the first pregnancy test he saw as her eyes widened.

"<i>That's</i> what you think?"

"Babe. You haven't gotten your period lately, and you're throwing up a lot. That's about all those health initiatives in school taght me." He grabbed a loaf of bread, but she placed a hand on his. 

"Don't try to hide it," she advised. "It just makes it worse."

"O - okay." He ducked down into his long leather collar, his face bright red.

"Mic, now c'mon, sweetie." She squeezed his hand briefly and let it go. "You're just nervous. We get this done, we'll know what to do. Might be nothing. I get gassy sometimes, is all."

He stared at her for a moment with sheer panic in his eyes, and then grinned, chuckling. "You're right. I'm just worried about you."

They bought the test. To their luck, the cashier behind the counter was too jaded to care what the two pro heroes were buying. Mic scooped up the tiny bag and they nearly ran back to his place.

She unwrapped it with shaking hands and fussed around until she managed to do what was needed. Setting it on the counter to wait, she washed her hands and pressed close to him. They didn't really speak until they were staring at the little stick's results.

"Phew." He leaned back against the wall, an odd mixture of emotions playing on his face. "Negative."

"Relieved?" She smiled shakily at him.

"I guess? I don't know. It - it wouldn't have been so bad, yanno? I mean, would it?" He took off his glasses and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "It's just not the right time."

"You're right, Hizashi," she said, entwining her fingers in his. "I have thought about this. Call me old-fashioned, but I wanted to be married first."

"I'd've married you in a heartbeat," he told her absently. "Still would."

"Oh." 

He glanced down to see tears in her eyes. "Oh sh - shit," he stammered, grabbing her up in a big hug. "Sorry, sorry... oh, geez. That just slipped out. I'm such a dork!" 

"No, no." Elly laughed weakly. "It was super sweet. I'm almost disappointed now."

"Ches?"

"Erk." She hid her face in his jacket. 

"You wanna get married?" 

"Are you asking, Hizashi... or <i>asking</i>?"

"Both." He shuffled his boots on the tiles. 

"Yeah."

"Yeah?"

She reached up and pulled his noise-canceling headphones off his ears. "Yeah. You dork. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm, ohhh. Going to throw up. Or burp really, really loud. Can't tell which."

He bit his lip, grinning hugely as she pushed him out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment