Saturday, May 4, 2019

Tomato Counseling

Another day of counseling at UA brought some new people to Elly's office, and a few that had been seeing her on a regular basis. Her friend with the internet problems came back as well. She genuinely liked the student, and felt for them.

"I feel so bad for saying anything. I didn't even mean the one thing so much as the other stuff. But they keep saying that's what I meant and it's wrong."

"It's okay. You don't have to like what others like. I hate tomatoes, for instance - I mean, I throw up if I eat a raw one. They <i>really</i> gross me out."

The student laughed. "You barf? For real?"

"Oh my god, yes. I despise the flavor." Elly chuckled, wrinkling her nose a little. "Mic found that out the hard way when he made sandwiches one night."

The teenager's smile grew even broader. "Ew!"

"My point is, that even though I don't like them and I might think they're yucky <i>personally</i>, I don't want others to stop eating them. That's what would be wrong, imposing your likes or dislikes on others. Simply stating your preferences, whether or not they agree with another person's beliefs, should be fine. Our differences are what makes us unique, and if we take that away, the world would be really dull."

"But what if other people say you're doing something bad by not liking what they do? Like, you're a bad person?"

"How can you be bad if you're fine with <i>them</i> doing whatever they want? Using the tomato example again, I don't want to force others to stop eating them, I just want the choice, the freedom, to not have to eat them myself. So maybe I say 'tomatoes are disgusting' and suddenly I've insulted <i>them</i>. No, the truth is simpler - I don't like tomatoes. I don't care if they do, in fact, I fully support their right to love them. They need to also support my right to think they're yucky. That's equality."

"People get sensitive about matters and they read too much into things. Also, I know I've said this before - but social media is very, very toxic." She paused and took a sip from her can of coffee on the desk in front of her. 

"The internet incites a kind of mob mentality, where everyone latches onto others and stop thinking for themselves. There's documented proof that when people gather in groups they literally stop thinking for themselves. It's frightening. And they want - need, often -- to see others hurt."

"Yeah." The student sighed bitterly. "I know most of this, but it doesn't help too much. It still hurts. A lot."

Elly's ears perked forward as she leaned intently towards them. "I know," she said sincerely. "I gave up all social media because I was tired of getting attacked when I really wanted support for things that hurt me. I'd post online, and people twisted everything the wrong way and I can't get over things like neural-typical people can. So I sort of understand what you're going through."

"Does it go away?"

"It gets better. It might stick around or it might disappear in a week. Usually the mobs run to fresher meat fast, so you won't be the main topic for long."

"Okay." They stood with a very shaky sigh as the bell rang. "Thanks, Ms. Cheshire. I have to run to lunch - say hi to Mr. Mic for me."

She waved as they rushed out the door into the crowd of others milling about. It was only a few minutes later that the door opened again with a bang.

"Hey hey, baby! It's lunchtime!"

"Hi, Mikey." She leaped into his arms and he hugged her tight. 

"Did ya have a lot of appointments? Did the one kid come back?"

"Yeah, they came back. I explained it all again. I think they just needed to hear that they weren't the monster the other people are claiming they are. I used my disgust of tomatoes as an example."

He snorted. "I know. My best friend's bi," he said, "but I wouldn't wanna kiss another dude, the idea just..." He squinted, thinking momentarily with an odd expression on his face. "Nahhhh, nope. I don't care if he does if it makes him happy though. I've got you, he can have who he wants."

"That's it exactly!" 

"And now ... on to lunch? Burgers!"

"Oh geez, is it burger day again?"

"Don't worry. I'll remember not to get tomatoes."

"Ha ha, sweetie."

No comments:

Post a Comment