Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Counseling: The First Injury

"So, Zashi. You wanna know why I really hate that crazy old bitch?"

He whistled lowly. "You're more pissed than I've seen you in awhile, babe. Sure. It must have been terrible!"

"Oh, it was. And there was so much more, but it all started when I was so young it was ridiculous. My stepfather wasn't even my stepfather yet, in fact. Close, but not yet. He and mom went somewhere for the day and they had to leave me with someone, so it was hell grandma and his sister. As far as I know, this was my very first time meeting them. His sister had kids, so we went out to play."

"You must've been young if you played. I know you quit a lot of that after you were yelled at too much."

She nodded. "The girl, my soon-to-be step cousin, had those wonky beginner roller skates. I thought it was so cool, so I tried it for the first time." She rolled her eyes expressively. "I do <i>not</i> balance well."

"Aww. You fell?"

"Big time, scraped both my knees really bad. You know the type where knee to ankle is a bloody mess with bits of pavement gravel in it. It was the first time I had ever gotten that hurt. I was stunned, confused, and even more frightened because my mom wasn't there and I was in a strange place with strangers around me."

He traced wandering patterns on the back of her hand as he held it. "You were upset and hurt. Understandable. Almost every kid would want their mommy in a situation like that."

Elly laughed bitterly. "Yeah, well, you know what I got when I 'cried too much'?"

This time Hizashi cried out. "Ah, shit, princess! No way..."

"Yes," she said in a tiny voice, near to tears. "That horrible woman slapped me. I think my stepfather's sister looked at her in shock but I'm not sure. All I remember is being so afraid then I didn't know what to do." Her ears laid back and she bit her lip, unconsciously holding back tears even now. "I tried really hard not to cry. That's all I remember."

"<i>Fuck</i>," Hizashi said very clearly. Then, seeing shecwas doing what she always did, gently took hold of her cheeks and spoke with love, his eyes holding her gaze. "Baby, I know you understand why it's scary or embarrassing for you to cry. Like you said, you were always getting yelled at or slapped if you did. But, you need to now. Look." He kissed the corner of her eye and she choked, struggling.

"I know, I know. I cry a lot... but not when I should. When I need to. I can usually only do it when I'm alone. And if not, only with you." The tears broke and spilled down her cheeks at last.

"It's one of my biggest honors," he murmured as he held her.

No comments:

Post a Comment