Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Counseling: easter Egg Hunt

Elly admired their lopsided sandcastle with an equally crooked little smile. "It's <i>horrible</i>, Hizashi," she laughed.

"Nahhh... well. Uh." He chuckled as one of the towers suddenly collapsed in a crumbling heap. "Okay, maybe it's not gonna win any awards, " he agreed solemnly. 

"I uh, remembered another beach story, you know."

"Oh?"

"Yep. Maybe I'm just too sensitive. It hurt at the time, though."

He flopped back onto the towel, gesturing for her to sit with him. "C'mon, I wanna hear it."

"Okay. So we lived near a beach, and you know they would have Easter egg hunts where they bury eggs in the sand?"

He shook his head. "Nah, but that's pretty freakin' sweet. Different."

"Yeah, right? Well, I went to one as a kid. The rules said parents had to stay away and only kids could dig... but every single kid had an adult helping them grab tons of eggs."

Hizashi groaned, knowing what was coming. "Except you?"

"You guessed it. I was so sure I could find at least one egg. All the parents and kids around me were greedily snatching multiples up for their kids. My mom and, I think grandpa this time? I can't remember exactly but I think he was there... they didn't help. I was the only kid that left without anything."

He looked outraged. "No candy?"

"Nope. Notjing. No little egg, no toy. I gave up after awhile and just left. I don't remember what they might have said to me, either. I just remember the hurt. Like, why always me? Why did I always miss out but everyone else got stuff?"

"Unf," he grunted. "That's it, I'm buyin' you a snow cone."

Elly stared at him for a moment, stunned... and then burst out laughing. "Wh - what? Why?!"

"You deserve sweet things. Blue, right?" He called over his shoulder as he darted up towards the vendors sitting by the parking lot. 

"Uh, yeah!"

No comments:

Post a Comment