Monday, May 13, 2019

Counseling: the truth

"This is a story that sums up my family really well. My stepfather had this friend when I was growing up. They're still friends, really. When I was a kid, we used to go to his house to feed exotic birds, because he bred them for profit. His house was like one of the worst episodes of "Hoarders" - you know, the animal ones. The poor birds were in bad condition. The state finally got him after a while and he had to get rid of all of them. This man stunk and always had bird poop and paint on his clothing and skin."

Hizashi made a face but only nodded.

"Okay so… a real winner, right? And he was sexist as hell. He rated women and only wanted the best for himself: thin, blond, you know. Of course, came over out house often. One day when I was a teenager he came over and said I was an 'ugly, fat bitch' or something very close to those lines to my stepfather. My stepfather laughed."

His mouth dropped open. "Hwha?"

"Yep!" Elly laughed grimly. "You know the laugh too, sweetie. That agreement laugh you do with friends. Like, 'hell yeah'!" She breathed in slowly and continued. "My grandfather heard this whole exchange, and in front of me and my mother, tells us in a rage. He says, '<i>you don't do that, we're family and you stand up for family</i>'."

Hizashi relaxed a little. He knew she had loved her grandfather deeply, and now he could see why. 

"I thought this was great. Someone standing up for me at last! But then he adds the caveat..."

"Crap," he husked.

"...<i>even if it</i> is <i>true</i>'."

His hand slapped over his face, covering his eyes. "I knew it," he muttered. "Honey, your life - if someone didn't know you they wouldn't be able to believe what you went through. You're amazing." He placed his hand on hers. "You're one of the strongest people I know. You're a beautiful, sweet person and they were wrong to say that."

"Thanks, Zashi."

"Did they say anything at all to him?"

"Oh, no. Nothing was said to him about it that I know of. He was still welcome in our home after this, and my folks buy him gifts every year to bring when they visit him." 

He sighed and squeezed her hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment