Monday, May 13, 2019

A Mysterious Illness

Aizawa reached out for a perfunctory tap on the school nurse's door. 

Recovery Girl was inside, alone at the moment and reading some sort of medical journal. She squinted at the lanky teacher as he shuffled in. 

"What's your problem, then? Someone get injured at the training ground again?"

"No. I'm here for myself."

She blinked. "Eh?"

"I am having ... symptoms. I would like you to perform a routine examination."

Chiyo shrugged and hopped down from her stool. "All right, but didn't you just have your annual?"

He nodded, stepping further inside and sitting on a cot. "Yes."

She frowned as she muttered to herself, rummaging through her desk drawers. "Where did I put the - oh! Here it is." A stethoscope appeared in her hands and she slipped it around her neck. "So tell me the symptoms already."

"I suddenly experience an increased heart rate and sometimes the inability to breathe properly."

"Hard getting your breath? Ya get hit recently?"

"No. It's not always the same. Sometimes I can't breathe, others I'm rapidly taking breaths. I have also been getting fevers that seem to come and go very quickly."

She raised an eyebrow at him. "So, heart rate increase, breathing hard or can't catch your breath... and you're getting hot a lot?"

"Yes." He grimaced. "It's an unusual illness. I've never experienced this before."

The U.A nurse stared for a very long time at him after she tested his heart rate and pulse. "Everything is fine. I'd check your blood pressure, but I'm thinking it will be just fine as well. Let me run a special test."

Aizawa waited patiently as she tapped onto her phone. "Will this take long?"

"Oh, not at all," she murmured. Someone knocked lightly on her door and she nodded to him. "Wait here a moment, please."

"Yes, of c -" the rest of what he was about to say was cut off with a small gasp. 

Upon opening, the new school counselor poked her head in to smile at the nurse. Elly's ears flicked forward and she saw the homeroom teacher sweating on the small bed inside.

"Oh, hey, Aizawa. You're not injured, are you?"

He shook his head. "I'm having some tests done. I may be ill."

"Oh, no." She looked over at the older woman, who was carefully watching the scene unfold before her. "I'm not intruding, am I?"

"Heck, no," she waved her in. "Here, you can help. Hold this scruffy bastard's hand for him while I finish up."

"I am not a child," he protested sternly, but stammered when the cat woman gently took his hand in her own. "Cheshire, r - really, I don't need -"

She shrugged. "Well, she's the nurse, right?"

Aizawa, flustered, saw the old woman was running the same tests she had before! He huffed grumpily, his cheeks burning as another of those strange fevers swept over him. <i>At least now she will be able to record it properly</i>, he thought wryly. 

"There." She finished by taking his temperature and smiled at Elly. "Thanks. You can go back now."

"Okay." She gave his hand a little squeeze before she uncovered it. "Just let me know if you need anything else!"

Aizawa managed to wait until she was gone before he said anything. His left eye twitching, he turned to Recovery Girl and asked in as calm a manner as he could, "What was that?"

She ignored him. "You're thirty years old, correct?"

"Yes." 

"And you've never had symptoms like these before."

"No." His brow furrowed even harder. 

She sighed, staring up at the sky for a brief moment. "Aizawa Shota, your condition is perfectly normal. Everyone goes through it, some a little later than others - like you -- but you're not in danger."

"What the hell is it?!"

"You're in love, you dummy."

He choked. "No, Chiyo, wait - this has got to be a mistake, I'm not..!"

"Aizawa," she told him firmly. "You were fine until she came in. Then when she held your hand, your heartbeat skyrocketed." 

He gulped loudly, his face burning this time with embarrassment. "What do I do?"

"I recommend some counseling." She pointed towards the direction of Elly's office with a mischievous grin.

His expression was priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment