Friday, March 8, 2019

100 Challenge - 7 - wrecked

"Hang on, sweetie," Elly urged. "You'll be okay. Just get it all out." She pulled back on his hair just a little, making sure the golden locks were far out of the way of the toilet. They were firmly ensconced on the tile of their bathroom, Elly seated on the bathing stool while her boyfriend kneeled in front of the bowl.

Hizashi rolled his eyes, gagging. "No <i>fair</i>," he whined. "I didn't drink <i>anything</i> last night!" A convulsion struck him and he lunged forward one more time.

She waited until the noise died down to speak. "I know," she soothed, wiping his sweaty neck with a washcloth and dabbing his forehead when he turned, his eyes pleading with her to make it stop. "Better yet?"

"I - I just don't think I have anything left." 

"Okay. You wanna brush your teeth?" He smacked his lips and grimaced, nodding. "Be careful with the toothpaste if you do, it might trigger it again." 

"'Kay." He hobbled over to the sink.

"I'm going to tie your hair back while you do that." She got out a soft hair band and did just that, making certain it was doubled up and out of the way.

Hizashi spat and rinsed a couple of extra times. "Nghh, babe, I don't feel so good." He wobbled a bit and she grasped him about the waist, leaning on one side. 

"Quick, Zashi - bed or couch?"

"Couch."

"Okay, here we go." 

They shuffled clumsily along, him grabbing weakly at the walls to steady himself until they rounded the corner to their living room. He flopped heavily onto the couch, groaning, and closed his tired eyes. 

"I feel like I've been wrung out."

"I think it might have been food poisoning." She had been busy gathering things and set down a plastic bottle filled with water by his side. 

"Ugh. I only had a burger, though." He sniffled and sighed as a warm blanket was draped over him. 

"Who knows? Maybe it's a twenty four hour bug. If it goes on longer than that we'll see. I bet the worst is over now, though." 

"I hope so." 

"No eating yet. Which I think is okay with you now, but later you might get hungry. There's a mug of plain broth in the fridge and saltines on the counter. Crackers first."

"Yes, dear."

Elly stroked his hair. "Drink lots of water. I put a couple other bottles on the table. I want them all empty when I get back from school. But don't drink too fast."

He grinned weakly. "I love you, mommy."

"You little shit." She laughed. "Call me if you get worse. Or for anything. I'll try to peek in on you on my lunch." She kissed his clammy forehead, but he was already in a fitful sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment