Thursday, March 7, 2019

100 Challenge 34 - fury

Hizashi whistled cheerfully as he bounced the small bag of goodies he had bought for dinner in one hand. He unlocked the door to his apartment and immediately was struck by a terrible sight. 

Elly was sitting hunched over on the couch, sobbing her heart out. She had muffled her cries by cramming her favorite pillow against her face so he hadn't heard before he walked inside. She looked horrible; her hair was flattened on one side, her face paler than normal. Those beautiful purple eyes he loved were red flecked, like Aizawa's, and there were dark circles under them. Wads of tissue lay everywhere around her, some of them blood-spotted. 

"Oh, god, princess, what is it?" He dropped the groceries on the floor and rushed to the couch, flinging himself on the floor in front of her. "Are you hurt?" The blood meant she could have cut herself, or any number of things.

She shook her head, gulping. "N - no, it's something stupid. Just a bloody nose."

He stroked her tear-streaked cheeks, his green eyes filled with worry. "You cried so hard you <i>bled</i>? Oh baby, tell Zashi what's wrong. I'll fix it - I'll try my damndest to fix it."

She pointed blindly at the ground. "I know it's not true, I - I know, buh - but..."

Hizashi blinked, noticing for the first time the magazine on the floor. He picked it up and opened it to the page she had been reading. "This is that rag that printed the photo of you and Toshi...nor... eeeehhh, <i>what the hell is this?!</i>" He screeched the last part so loud she covered her ears.

"I know it's not - !"

"Those <i>bastards</i>!" His glasses slipped down his nose but he didn't notice. "No. No-o-o-o, no, this is too far. I'm with you. Not whoever the hell this is."

"I know. I know..."

"At least it's just this shitty mag," he snarled as he drop kicked it across the room.

"It's not just them." She waved the remote weakly in one hand. 

His eyes bugged out of his head. "What."

She breathed erratically, tears starting afresh. "It's eh - everywhere on the news!"

He jumped as his phone suddenly went off. "Shit, not now."

"Who is it?"

He checked. "Awwww, crap. It's my publicist. Babe, maybe this will help." He tapped and held it up to his ear. "Yeah, I'm here."

Elly blew her nose and rolled over miserably. "Stupid, stupid," she groaned.

"Yeah." Hizashi's tone had grown cold. "I saw. My girl's here cryin' her damn eyes out. What're they tryna do to us?!" He paused as he listened, tapping his foot on the floor. "Okay, listen. Not only are we gonna do those interviews in costume, I'm gonna freaking propose on camera! That's it!" He flung the phone down, his nostrils flaring.

"H - Hizashi?"

"Ohhh. Oh shit I said that out loud, didn't I."

She covered her mouth and hiccupped softly, trying to hold back a wild burst of laughter. "Uh huh."

"Well, screw 'em! I'm'a make this so damned romantic and perfect somehow, even if you do already know about it. And I swear if they ever make you cry again..."

"Zashi."

He threw back his head and yelled, carefully controlling his voice. "No! No one can make you cry!"

"No one's ever gotten this angry for me before." She leaned forward and hugged his legs. "At me, sure, but never for me. It's sweet."

"Uh. Good," he finished lamely. "Err, we have to do those live interviews in like an hour."

Her eyes popped open. "Crap."

No comments:

Post a Comment