Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Best of both worlds 4

"I'll make you a promise," he finally offered. "I won't think you're crazy no matter <i>what</i> you tell me."

"I trust you, Mic," Elly sighed. "And I guess my holding back isn't helping, so..." Her purple-striped tail lashed several back and forth times behind her while she thought. "Your world here? It's a manga and an anime where I come from. That's how I know a lot and that's why I think this can't be real."

His sunglasses slid down the bridge if his nose as he stared at her, his eyes huge in shock.

"It's my current <i>favorite</i> series," she added unhelpfully. "I have a lot of merchandise from it." She avoided mentioning how most of it was his but did start blushing and stared down at her hands on the table top.

He recovered enough to exhale noisily out of his gaping mouth. "Holy <i>shit.</i>"

"Yeah."

"I better, uh..." He jerked a thumb backwards.

"Yeah. Go tell them."

A few doors down this conversation was happening.

"Hey, guys? Uh. She told me what's up." He still looked stunned.

"Oh? Spill it." Midnight leaned forward expectantly.

"She says she's... ahhh. From another reality. We're actually a manga in her world."

Absolutely no one expected that.

The room went silent for a full minute.

"What th' hell?" Snipe shook his head.

"Her quirk could be mind reading." Aizawa looked around the table, his expression deadpan as almost always. "Occam's Razor, people. That would easily explain how she seems to know everything about us."

"But why lie?"

"I can think of multiple reasons."

"She hasn't shown us her quirk. Until then, we <i>shouldn't</i> rule out she might be lying." Midnight frowned, thinking hard.

Mic rubbed his temple, groaning. "But if she's telling the truth, she doesn't know what her quirk is. 'Cause she's never had one."

"We need to turn her over to the authorities now anyway. They've been waiting."

"But - but she's scared!" Mic exclaimed. "And if what she says is true, completely alone in a strange place. She doesn't speak the language and has no identification."

"We have to do it. They might be able to find something out, especially when they run her prints. Anything will help. Perhaps she's legitimately forgotten who she is."

"We're sworn to protect the innocent. It looks like we dragged her into this anyway by testing Ana's quirk and that makes us responsible for her. Her safety <i>and</i> her sanity."

"Yeah, I feel bad, guys," the portal creator said.

"Well said," Yagi murmured to Hizashi.

Nezu stared thoughtfully at the tall, blond man, who was wringing his hands. "You seem to have a calming effect on her, Yamada. And that is an excellent point. We must treat her kindly, especially as she's likely to come back to us." He steepled his paws together and leaned towards the English teacher.

Mic blinked. "Uh..."

"She will require a translator, yes? I'll contact your agency so you can be free tonight. You'll be our representative and stay by her side to make certain she's treated like a guest, not a criminal."

"Why not have Yagi do it? Sorry, man," he added as an aside.

"No problem." The big guy shrugged.

"She's shown an interest in you. It's been enough to get her to open up. And it might make her feel safer if she's truly going to be our guest here."

"Aww. I was going to a concert later." He sighed, then held his hands up when the others frowned at him. "Okay, okay! I'll do it. You just better not make me your errand boy for all her shit."

No comments:

Post a Comment