Friday, September 20, 2019

Best of both worlds 11

After such a great night, she could barely sleep. But eventually time passed and she was sitting at the long table again, the next morning, talking to the staff by proxy.

Mic sat close beside her, translating.

"All right. Did you figure out what you need to do?"

"We decided the best course of action involves sending Present Mic back in with you." Nezu took a sip from his cup of tea.

Her face fell. "Not Mic," Elly begged. "Please, pick someone else." Her ears lay all the way back and her tail lashed furiously behind her.

"Now, why would you not want him to accompany you?"

He looked hurt. "Yeah, why not me?"

"I don't want you to go."

"Why <i>not</i>?"

"You can't!" She miaowed in her extreme distress. Upon hearing herself, she clapped her hands to her mouth, her purple eyes wide. The rest of the staff stared at her but said nothing. Aizawa half-reached out when she mewed, then pulled his hand back with a small, embarrassed cough.

"Hey, I wanna know why you suddenly don't want me around. Huh?"

She swore under her breath. "Mic - Hizashi -- <i>please</i>. I don't want you to see me like that!"

"Whoa." His cheeks burned as she called him deliberately by his first name. "Why not?" He paused as he remembered how she acted upon first arriving here. "Wait... you were shitting yourself about how you looked different when you got here. Is that the reason?"

"I don't want you to see," she choked. "Please, I'm  - I'm normal here..."

"You're pretty," he corrected, then blushed harder. "Uh, shit. Well. I meant it."

Midnight's eyes widened, and she leaned forward eagerly. "Yamada's fallen for her? This has gotten even more interesting!"

Thirteen elbowed her gently in the side.

"I'm wh - what?" Elly blinked rapidly. <i>There was no way he had said that, right?</i>

He tilted his head to one side. "Yer upset 'cause you don't want me see you... but I can already see you?"

"You're not getting it." Her ears drooped farther. "I guess this really is a nightmare, after all." She sighed and rolled her shoulders back, straightened up and looked him right in the eyes. "There's no way of getting around this. Let's go."

No comments:

Post a Comment