Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Moy Mell: 38

"Emergency meeting, my ass. The hell we have to meet here, of all places? It's definitely not the scenery." Elly stared distastefully around at the swirling red and purple abyss, riddled with unfathomable sigils and dark, strange sands.

Neuro tilted his head to one side, chattering, his beak snapping quickly as he spoke in a language no human could comprehend. Elly listened tiredly, nodding.

"Yes. I know. There hasn't been any sign of the cult that attacked. The others are concerned, are they?"

He shook himself into his human guise, tugging on his neatly pressed blue suit. "Yes, my lady, they are. A few of us have been taken out over the years - not counting the smaller imps amd the like, of course -- and we are all growing quite..." He paused, looked up at an impossible angle while he thought. "...nervous about this whole ordeal. We might want to buff up your public image again. In case they try to undermine it in the hopes of gaining support."

"Didn't they try that already and fail? Why would they try again?" She turned a pair of softly glowing lavender eyes at him.

Neuro shivered with delight at the sight of her reverting even slightly. "My dear, have you read the tabloids lately? All the petty little gossip is about you, it seems."

She growled, her tail lashing about her legs as she stood. "Humans." She spat the word in disgust.

"Right - right!" He laid an arm across her shoulders and tittered when she snarled, her head changing. He was met with a full display of fangs that he merely grinned at. "It appears the public simply won't stay out of your love life. Really, now, it's all they have. You participate in multiple charity events and you never interact on social media, so nothing can be used against you. Except..."

"I don't date." She snapped this out angrily. "I'm seen with other people but never romantically. Well, except for that distraction. "

Neuro nodded, pouting as she changed back to her more familiar form. "Mm hmm. So they speculate. Cast all these strange little doubts your way. It's why the sham with you and the blond one that cooks went off so well; it was the perfect distraction!"

"Ugh."

"So you chose the wrong one to dally with." He shrugged. "Pick another. They are but playthings to us, after all, and you have so many."

Elly winced. "That's not what I want."

"Yeah, bird brain." A new voice joined them in the little bubble of demonic dimension he had created for them to chat in.

"Ohhhh, my dear. The sex bitch decided to join us. How marvelous."

Bella flicked a wing at him. "She wants real romance. True love."

He made a terrible face. "Love? That's shit. You mean, trust one of them?"

"I know." Elly's shoulders slumped. "That's the part I've been hung up on for a century or so. Hi," she added to her friend.

The succubus laid a comforting hand on her arm. "You're closer than you think. I only pushed you the other day because I thought you needed it. You're terrified of people."

"Should be the other way around," Neuro agreed.

"Look, even though my reputation is moot when it comes to humans due to their prudish nature, I still meet some good ones now and then. You have to take a chance in order to get what you want." Bella curled her whiplike tail around one of her own legs and paused, buffing her bright, shiny red nails on the front of her outfit. "And, as a sex demon, you positively reek of desire for the scruffy one. He's got you good, dear."

"Aizawa."

"Yes."

"I think I'm falling in love with him," she admitted in a scared whisper.

Neuro groaned. "Disgusting."

"I asked him if he wanted to sit up and watch stupid movies all night until we couldn't stay awake."

"Oooh, nice!" Bella grinned at her in approval. "Y'all get cozy in your PJ's, snuggle up and maybe end up falling asleep in his arms."

Elly turned red at this, her eyes huge. "I - I didn't mean..."

"Yes, you did." She giggled wickedly.

"All right. Maybe I thought about it." She sighed, laying her furry ears back. "His arms around me. I used to love when Z -" Her eyes suddenly teared, and she shook her head violently. "What the hell! No. Nope. I'm off to my rooms, everybody. I don't want to be late for this." She concentrated and popped out.

Neuro and Bella stared after her. "She still thinkin' of him, huh?"

"Yeah. Only problem with that idiot was he kept everything bottled up. And still does!" He grinned. "It's so amusing!"

"And by amusing, you mean painful."

"Of course. What else?"

"This is why humans don't like us," she said mildly.

"No shit. The feeling is mutual."

"For some." Bella also snapped back to the other world.

Neuro sighed. "Well. Nothing to it but to check on the scruffy bastard."

Aizawa tugged on his shirt, a little self conscious about wearing such a casual outfit. He had a gray shirt with a black cat on it, and sleep pants with paw prints all over them in matching colors. His feet were stuffed into battered, furry cat slippers with little faces on them and tails where the heels were. He had made a face when she had requested they dress in 'comfortable clothing' for tonight but she insisted. He had to admit that it would be better to be dressed this way if they were to sleep wherever, but this brought up a few other nervous ideas he wasn't quite certain about.

He was lost in thought, scuffing along the hall to her quarters when he found himself suddenly facing the gigantic parrot head of her public relations manager, the only demon in her employ. He had materialized half out of the wall, his curved beak snapping an inch away from his nose.

Aizawa stared at him, unimpressed. "We would work far better together if you would cease trying to intimidate me."

Neuro's parrot eye stared unblinkingly back at him as his bird head jerked about. "That's no fun," he complained.

"Are you only here for fun?"

He snickered. "Demons generally do that, you know." He grew serious then, and he stared hard at the man. "Except our little cat. She wants something else - and it appears she may have chosen you to dispense it."

At any other time Neuro would have been pleased to startle the tired-looking guardian. He watched him step back, his gray eyes widening slightly. "Wait, what are you saying?"

"Hmph. Got your attention, did I? She would quite possibly tear my feathers off if I tattled, so that's all I can say. Know this, though: I don't trust humans and I don't like them."

"We don't have to like or trust each other to work together, as long as our objective is the same, I suppose. I'm keeping as much of an eye on you as you are me. Do not forget our main goal is to protect her." He fixed a firm stare on the demon, his own eyes glowing red as the back of the bun he had tied his dark hair into flew upright. "If you ever do anything that puts her in danger I will make you extremely sorry."

A yawn from the doorway caused them both to turn around. Neuro hurriedly stuffed himself back into the wall so she didn't see him as he technically was not allowed here.

Elly stood there, dressed in sweatpants and a soft t-shirt. She was rubbing at her eyes, a blanket draped over her arm. "C'mon, Shota, I thought we were going to stay up and watch cheesy movies tonight."

"Coming, my queen."

"You like movies?" Neuro's disembodied voice seemed surprised the somewhat boring man had a hobby.

"I like her," he replied with a grin. "The movies are secondary to the pleasure of sitting up with her late at night. Now, get out or I'll tell her you violated the rules and showed up here."

He left behind a ghostly cackle as Aizawa crossed the threshold into her suite.

The rooms had a giant section off to one side with a large television and piles of stuffed animals, beanbags, and cushions. This is where they were headed. She had placed a small selection of snacks out as well on a table nearby.

"Drinks and other food are in the fridge, there," she motioned where there was a tiny kitchenette. "And a microwave. It's simple, but it gets the job done in a pinch."

He nodded, choosing a huge cat beanbag and sinking down into it with a sigh. Elly smiled. She had pulled her favorite - a giant, fluffy narwhal -- up to that one, knowing he would pick it.

"What are we watching?"

"Is there anything you want to..?"

It was his turn to grin as he held his phone up for her to see.

She knelt by his side and read the article title of the website shown. "25 great movies for cat lovers."

His grin grew wider.

Elly burst out laughing, and laid her forehead on his shoulder in defeat. "Okay, okay! Pick one and we'll load it up."

They were halfway into a horror movie where cats defeated vampires when she felt his arm gently wrap around her shoulders. Purring, she leaned into the embrace, cuddling against his warm side.

"Your shirt is so soft."

He absolutely did not know what to say to that. Some sort of noise emanated from him but it was nothing resembling words. They watched the rest of the movie, cheering the cats madly on as they helped the humans and won in the end.

When it was over he turned to her, rubbing her shoulder gently. "Hey. You still awake?"

"Mmn hmm. You sleepy yet?"

He chuckled drily. "I'm always tired."

"Aww. Why is that? Your eyes..." She twisted slightly so she could touch his cheek. "They're always bloodshot."

Aizawa swallowed hard past the lump that had formed in his throat. "My power causes me to have a continuous case of dry eye."

"Oh. Is it painful?" Her brow furrowed as she traced around them.

"Sometimes. It's mostly just annoying." He paused, grasping her wrist gently but firmly. "Ches, I need to ask you something."

"Uh." Her ears snapped upright as if she realized what she had been doing. "S - sorry!" She jerked her hand to take it back, but he held her fast.

"Are you afraid of me at all? We talked about humans and how they hurt you before. I'm worried that distrust goes deeper and you might be frightened of all people, including me."

She startled to tremble, but his gaze was genuinely concerned and his touch on her wrist remained soft. He simply restrained her so she couldn't move her right hand. It rested on his face where she had been absently caressing him.

"I - I don't know, exactly. In some way, yes. But not like the others, if that makes sense? I... oh, shit." She miaowed softly and his hold on her abruptly loosened. "I don't really want to say how I feel."

When she focused on him again she saw the reason he had dropped his grip. His gray eyes were glazed over and there was a pronounced burn that was spreading as she watched across his cheeks and the bridge of his nose. His ears were red as well.

"Sh - Shota?"

He shook his head mutely, reaching over with a shaking hand towards her head. She saw where he was moving and ducked down, allowing him acess. Aizawa rested his hand on her head and lightly rubbed her furry ears. After a few minutes he spoke, his normally calm voice quavering. "I have my own fears," he murmured. "I am not an emotional man but I'm afraid to frighten you further."

Elly bit her lip and took a chance, her heart hammering terribly in her chest. "Please, Shota. I need -" She choked back what she had been about to say, shocked at herself.

He saw this and guessed. "Me? Is that it? Ches, do you need ... me?"

"Of course I do," she mumbled shyly. "You're my head bodyguard."

"Please tell me that isn't all I am to you." His hand slipped and cupped the side of her face, urging her to look at him. Her eyes were teary and she looked positively terrified. "I don't mean to scare you, but please..."

"That isn't it." She bit her lip, shaking harder.

"Don't be upset." He pulled her into a fierce embrace, causing her to gasp. It was the first time she had been held so tightly in a very long time. "I'm glad. That's all I need to hear right now."

He was warm, and his shirt was, as she had noticed before, well worn and velvety soft. Elly closed her eyes and breathed in his coffee and energy drink scent, relaxing in his arms. He said nothing else, and as it was late, she fell asleep soon after.

Aizawa settled back in the beanbag and closed his eyes, listening to her steady breathing with a soft smile on his stunned but happy face.

No comments:

Post a Comment