Thursday, July 4, 2019

Moy Mell 35

All three men stood silently for the span of about a minute. Then Zoro started forward.

"I'm gonna talk with her."

Aizawa stood his ground firmly, blocking the much larger man. "If she refuses you three times, you must leave."

Zoro clenched his jaw so tightly the muscles rippled alongside it. "Agreed," he said tightly.

Elly sat on the closed toilet seat. She was very nearly hyperventilating, her face splotchy with color and her eyes squeezed shut. She was trying to block out the sight of the swordsman staring in shock at her and Aizawa.

"Cat? Come out of there, we need to talk." He tapped lightly. "I want to apologize."

"Zoro?! No! You said you didn't want me around, now go away!"

There was a stressful silence from behind the door. Then, so low that she could barely hear it, he spoke again. "Please."

Zoro never pleaded - with anyone. She knew how much it must mean to him if he made the gesture and opened the door grudgingly. "Okay. This had better be good."

"I, uh, did a stupid thing chasing you away. I didn't really mean it."

"Really? Did you mean leaving me?" Her eyes narrowed dangerously.

He winced. "That was for your protection, cat. I ..." His jaw thrust forward as he blurted the rest out. "I didn't want to. I wanted to stay with you."

She looked like she didn't quite believe him. "You did?"

"Yes. And what's going on here, anyway? I'm gone a few weeks and you're holding hands with this guy?"

She bristled immediately. "What's it to you if I maybe, I don't know, like him?"

He snorted laughter, jerking a thumb back in Aizawa's direction. "Him. Scruffy guy with bags under his bloodshot fucking eyes and greasy hair."

"You bastard - you ... no, get out. Get out, get out, get fucking out! Shota!" Her pupils paled and she growled in anger, raising one hand in a claw position as if to swipe at him. The man in question instantly appeared and ushered Zoro to the door before that could happen.

"The hell, man?" He spluttered, uncerain as to what had just happened. "Why is she so freaking upset now?!"

"Probably because you insulted him," Sanji called out as they passed. "And her. And, oh! Implied that her taste in men sucks."

"I always talk to her whatever way I want," he grumbled to Aizawa. "She never acted this mad before."

"Things change," the leaner man murmured. He reached out to hold the front door, readying to close it behind him. "And if you've decided you want her, by the way, you'll have a fight on your hands."

Zoro glared at him. "A fight? With you?"

"Romantically speaking, of course. I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate us getting into an actual battle for her heart. Besides, those are for fairy tales." He seemed to lose his train of thought as he said this, frowning a little. "She decides who she wants, in the end."

"I'm not - who said anything about wanting..."

"Still not admitting it?" He scratched his stubbled chin. "Well. That makes it easier for me, then. Illogical though they are, I've no trouble with my feelings." He gently closed the door in the stunned man's face.

"You're playin' with fire," Knuckles snorted as he walked by. He had been visiting the pool earlier and stopped behind to listen. "Our moss-headed old boss really loves her."

Aizawa paused thoughtfully. "I believe I do as well."

"Well, la-de-freaking-da," the red echidna rolled his eyes. "Isn't that a shocker."

"Seriously?"

"Whatever, man. Just be careful." He disappeared around a corner into the shadows of a large potted plant.

Aizawa watched him go, his lips quirked in a smile. "I'm always careful." He returned to the kitchen, where she had, in true cat fashion, backed into a corner and was growling ominously in distress. "He's gone," he announced.

"The idiot," Sanji sighed bitterly.

"I'm inclined to agree with you on this account," the guard said drily. "He upset her badly."

"He - he said, he acted like you were... I don't know what happened!" She hid her face in her hands, sinking down along the wall. Aizawa scooped her up before she hit the ground.

"It's okay, Ches. He was upset."

"Well, now I'm upset!" She hissed, her tail fluffing out in all directions.

"I can see that. Thank you."

"Wh - wha?" The ingenious, wide-eyed stare she settled on him caused his knees to tremble.

"He seemed to insult me, and this made you angry. Did it not?"

"Seemed?" Sanji coughed on a cloud of cigarette-scented mist.

Her dark purple eyes grew even wider. "Uh..."

"You raised your hand to strike him, my queen," he said in as soft a tone as she ever heard from him. "Over me. Thank you."

Her ears laid back and she stiffened in his hold. "What did you call me?"

"My queen."

She blinked, understanding the feline reference: a sexually mature female. She now had two nicknames from him, and with a curious shiver she realized the only other person that had two for her was Zoro.

She wasn't sure what to make of that.

"Here, guys -" Sanji placed two hot cups of milk laced with a few things stronger on the counter. He had hopped up and made it while they were talking. "I can tell it's going to be one of those nights. Take one and go relax until dinner."

Aizawa let her go. He reached out and handed her a cup and she took it numbly. "Can we sit inside? I don't feel good about being in the open right now."

"The living room?"

"Perfect," she said wearily. Her ears drooping, she led the way. He followed, sipping on the strong toddy and amazed at her range of emotions. Now that it was over, she was completely exhausted.

Elly set her drink down and nearly fell onto the couch. He sat beside her, close but not encroaching on her personal space. "This has been an interesting day," he observed.

She snorted. "Can't ever have anything but those, here, can we." It was not exactly a question.

"Perhaps."

No comments:

Post a Comment