Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Shining 9

 True to his word, Hizashi met her on the beach the next morning, face flushed and triumphant.


"I got it!" He reached into his cloak and showed her the skin. "The guy was holding out for me, knowing I buy this type of thing."

She trembled as she took it from him. "Thank you so much."

"Now all you have to do is tell him." He looked around. "Where is Aizawa? Isn't he usually up by now?"

"He is." She smiled nervously as she tucked the pelt under her arm. "He's doing some inside work today, that's all."

The sunlight shone on Hizashi's bright hair as he nodded. "Good luck."

Elly headed back inside filled with trepidation over the conversation that was to occur between them. She knew what humans thought of fae, and was sick to her stomach that the wonderful man she was in love with might see her differently. She opened the door to find him in the act of reaching for the handle.

"What's wrong, my light?" He stepped backwards and then saw her offering.

"Hizashi found my clothes." Elly held the shining white pelt out to him. "I want you to have them."

"That's..."

"Please," she whispered, "if you take it I won't have to go."

But Aizawa was staring at the hide with repulsion, his gray eyes wide with shock and pain. "You're a selkie," he said out loud at last. "Of course."

She flinched and got down on her knees on the rough woven mat, still offering her coat. "I didn't want to frighten you," she tried to explain. "I wanted you to know before we -"

"Before..?" He ground his teeth together. "Is this why you wanted to wait that day on the beach?" His boot stomped down on the floor so hard the furniture rattled. "You <i>lied</i> to me!"

"<i>I never lied</i>!" Tears flowed down her cheeks, obscuring her vision, but she didn't waver. "I like it here and I like <i>you</i>, Aizawa. I want to stay."

"Sure, and it's convenience you want," he snapped. "What was it you said? That you're happy with warm food, a bed and a roof over your head... <i>because you're an animal</i>!" He swung a fist through the air, curbing his desire to slam it into a nearby wall. He stopped inches before it struck, trembling with rage. "Anything's better than the cold sea!"

"No. It's more than that." Elly cringed, weeping openly and clutching the pelt to her chest. "Please, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. My heart's pulse, I -"

He squeezed his eyes shut at the endearment, blocking his vision of her. "I've no need of a <i>pet</i>!"

Silence.

She ran straight into the sea, wailing, her heart broken in so many pieces she couldn't tell if it was even beating anymore. She tore the dress she wore off in a single movement and wrapped the skin around her shoulders, transforming back into a plump little spotted seal with that beautiful white fur, a rarity among her kind. She sniffed the air, nostrils flaring and struggling to regain a sense of purpose, but to no avail. Elly raised her muzzle and cried out in agony, a lonely sound that resembled a human cry.

Aizawa rushed to the door as he heard the eerie scream breaking over the crash of the waves. He threw it open only to catch sight of a small, white head before it popped under the water.

She did not return.

No comments:

Post a Comment