Friday, November 6, 2020

11/8/2020

 Aizawa hated celebrations. 


The people, the loud chatter, inane, forced interactions and awkward, unnecessary gifts were all an annoyance. Over all, he especially despised the type of functions he would be the center of attention at. This meant that, once a year, he desperately tried to hole up in his room at the campus.

It was his birthday.

His godforsaken <i>birthday</i>.

He had dashed out of the school the moment he got the chance, darting around darker, unused hallways until he reached the sanctuary of his quarters. If luck would have it, the only present he would get would be Eri's crayon scrawl of a cat with hearts all over it. Aizawa dropped his yellow sleeping bag on the floor and zipped himself wearily into it. He'd just started to relax when there was a light knock at his door.

"Ughhh," he grunted and rolled over, propping himself up in the bag so he could inch his way over. Once there, a single hand snaked out and opened the door.

Aizawa glared darkly at the empty hallway.

"Whoever thought that was funny better watch their back," he called out sternly. He waited, but no one snickered or came forward to announce their intentions of a surprise party or any other nonsense. Just as he was going to slam the door and return to his nap, he caught sight of a small envelope on the ground.

He picked it up and disappeared into his room.

The envelope had his name typed on it and that was it. No identifying marks or anything. He ripped one side and slid out a plain piece of paper with a few sentences printed on it. Still no handwriting, so he had no clue who had left it.

<i>I wanted to give you something for your birthday. I had a few ideas, but when you told us that you would reject gifts, I decided to send this note instead.

I'll keep it short.

I respect your devotion to your jobs and am in awe of your determination in doing what is right. As your friend and colleague, I don't want to make you uncomfortable. I won't go into details and I'll never bring this up again, but for tonight I want to give you my love, even if it's only on paper.

I love you, Aizawa Shota.

Happy birthday.
</i>

He stared at the nondescript piece of paper for a long while, then glanced over where he had taped Eri's drawing to the wall.

A purple cat.

<i>Of course</i>.

Elly was resting on her bed when she heard a soft cough. She got up before the person at her door could knock, opening it slightly.

Aizawa stood there, still dressed in his Eraserhead suit but without the weapon and belt. He was watching her rather intently with those bloodshot gray eyes of his.

"Aizawa?" She hesitated and cleared her throat. "What can I do for you?"

"I know it was you," he said softly.

She opened the door a crack. "Wh - what?"

"The note."

"What note?"

He stuck his slippered foot in the door and nudged it open. Elly stood there in a soft, black t-shirt and jeans, her purple eyes wide and ingenuous.

Aizawa gave her a very direct look. "Everyone knows I don't want gifts. I say it every year, in passing, but they know. You were the only one that would have seen my request as a new thing." He shrugged.

Her lips thinned and he noticed how her tail began to swish nervously behind her. "I don't know what you're going on about, but I was in the middle of reading a very good book, and I'm sure you're tired -"

He stepped inside and closed the door behind him. "If you were serious about giving me your love, then give it to me."

"But you - I don't, uh, you d - don't..?" She stammered to a stop, her tail coming to an abrupt stop and stiffening behind her in fright.

"If you want to hold me, do it. If you've been wanting to know what my hair feels like, run your hands through it. Don't be afraid."

"I can't just - " She shook her head, folding her arms and placing her hands in her armpits. "Are you telling me not to fear rejection? Or are you pitying me?" Her eyes narrowed and her low, melodic voice grew steely. "It better not be the latter, Aizawa Shota. I might have a crush on you, but damned if I'm going to take advantage of a - a pity snuggle."

"You're beautiful when you're pissed." This was stated a simply as if he were discussing the weather.

"Wh - what?!"

He closed the distance between them in a heartbeat, one arm sliding around her waist and one reaching down so he could cup her chin in his hand. "I'll be accepting gifts this year," he told her quietly before planting a chaste kiss on her cheek.

"Oh," she gasped. "Well, then. Happy b - <i>Aizawa!</i>"

He chuckled and deepened the kiss.











No comments:

Post a Comment