Saturday, May 2, 2020

More than a Crush (Zashi)

"Again with this nonsense?" Aizawa raised his eyebrows. He had walked into the other man's classroom to drop off a stack of books and was immediately treated to a impromptu dissertation on Present Mic's favorite subject these days.

It was not English.

"Yeah, well, it's not nonsense to me! Didja hear how she said she wished she could go get a cup of coffee from that cafe? But she's too busy?"

"Go get her one then."

"What'm I supposed to tell her then, huh?" He set his elbows on the desk and pouted at his friend, spiralled pupils swirling beneath his shades. "Oh, hey, I went out of my freakin' way to get you this for no reason? I just couldn't."

"Tell her why, then."

"I don't know why I wanna treat her so special! A crush is a freakin' crush and I've had those before. So why've I got this ache in my chest when I see her?!"

"Hizashi..."

But the Emglish teacher was lost in his own world now, his hands curled under his chin staring dreamily into space. "She's smart as hell an' she sings like a freakin' angel. I'm a Voice Hero so I know, Aizawa. Hers is gorgeous. Maybe she doesn't know that I know, she sings at the clubs around here sometimes. I can get in unnoticed, since I've worked most of 'em, too."

"Get real, Yamada," Aizawa said bluntly. "You'd think she's perfect no matter what."

"Nuh uh," he snorted. "We've all got our faults. But she's got such beautiful eyes -"

"Ugh." Aizawa rolled his and ducked into his capture weapon to hide the grin he was sporting.

"...and that thing she does with her hair when it tickles her cheek makes me get all wiggly an' shit every time." Hizashi paused, his sunglasses sliding down his nose. "Holy hell, I just figured out this ain't a crush now. I'm in love," he sighed, a huge, wobbly grin splitting his blushing face.

"You might be the very last person to realize that." Aizawa held up his phone towards his friend. The contact screen was on the counselor's image, showing she had been on call for some time.

The blond man's jaw dropped. He stared incredulously at the device, then slowly back at the scruffy homeroom teacher.

"Holy fuck nuts," he wheezed at last. "You crazy bastard! She's gonna think I'm a cre-e-e-ep!" He ended on a loud wail, causing the pens and pencils in his cup on the desk to rattle crazily and then tip over the edge. His eyes were bugging out, the spirals thinning in anxiety. Even his massive blond plume of hair seemed to bristle behind him. "I don't know how to fix this!"

"Oh?" Aizawa calmly peered out of the room. "You'd better figure it out then. Cheshire's coming down the hall."

"Shit!" He scrambled madly for the door as his friend walked out.

"I'm going to take a power nap. Try not to shout the building down."

"Yer an asshole, Eraserhead!"

"Hnf." He waved backwards at the distraught man as he shuffled back to his classroom.

Hizashi didn't have enough time to really work himself into a panic, but he was very close when she opened the doors.

"Hi, Mic," she called quietly. "I just got the most interesting phone call."

"M'sorry," he squeaked nervously as she strode inside. "Uhhh, see, I didn't know I had a hot mic." He tried smiling but it felt wrong.

Elly raised her eyebrows as well as her furry cat's ears. They perked out of her hair, swiveling in his direction as she walked closer. "Well, now..." She drawled comically, "That was definitely my line."

"Ah... whahuh?"

She was beside him now and placed a hand on his arm, using her other to pull half his headphones off. This exposed his blushing ear, which was as pink as the bridge of his nose in his confusion. Soft, warm breath puffed on the curved shell as she whispered, "Ask me out, handsome."

Hizashi's mind shut down. He had been prepared for rejection, however tactful, but never expected her to hit on him. "What just... what?"

She smiled, letting the headphones pop back into place. "Are you free after school? We could get that coffee."

He nodded. "For real? You - you actually wanna?"

"Yamada -" He sighed, wishing, once again, that he could tell her it was okay to call him by his given name. Elly cocked her head quizzically at him and sat on the edge of his desk, staring deeply into his eyes. "Hizashi," she amended softly.

"Whoa," he choked. "That's eerily perceptive."

The counselor grinned, the glint of a fang showing under the school's fluorescent lighting. "Part of my job," she purred. "Now, as a reminder..."

He nearly passed out when she kissed him. Her lips brushed the very corner of his mouth, chaste enough for work but hinting at what such action could turn into later. Hizashi closed his eyes and hummed, pleased, under his breath.

"No way I'll forget, baby," he husked, turning so he lightly grazed her lips. She purred in delight and her hand squeezed his gently. Neither had really been paying attention to anything but the other, so when they straightened and their eyes focused again they got a surprise. An entire class filled with wide eyes and gaping mouths sat stunned in their seats.

Elly handled it far better. She smiled in a wholesome manner at them all, waving cheerfully. "Hey, everyone! Sorry to cut into your class time." She slipped off the desk and paused to pick up the cup and writing implements, setting them in their proper place. "I'll see you later."

He gulped. "Uh huh." Hizashi watched in amazement as she left, her striped tail twitching lazily behind her. As soon as the doors swung heavily shut the class erupted into chaos.

"Mr. Mic!"

"Are you two dating?!"

"How long -?!"

Hizashi wrenched his focus back to the students with an effort. "Whoa, whoaaa!" He waved his hands in the air. "At least ask yer questions in English!"

So they got coffee after school.

It went about as well as expected, really. The two had gone out many times before but not on official dates. Since this came after a confession, it was decidedly different. Their hands touched a lot more and there was an abundance of blushing. Hizashi got so red in the ears, nose and cheeks he looked as if he was coming down with a fever. Elly sat very close to him, and they had a wonderful time. As they walked back to the teacher's dormitory, he leaned close to her and whispered somewhat theatrically.

"Hey hey, baby, I just got an idea. How about we sneak into my room at the dorm for some quiet time?"

"Uh... is that allowed?"

"Rules say the students aren't supposed to fool around in their rooms. Not the teachers."

Elly frowned. "It does say we're not allowed to have outsiders in -"

"We're both staff."

She struggled with the semantics. "But..."

Hizashi glanced around, then pulled her into a dark corner of the entrance hall. He laid an arm on the wall over her head, stepping close with one knee along her side. His eyes whirled as he squinted appraisingly down, then he reached out and lightly grasped her chin in his thumb and forefinger.

"I just want more of this." His mouth grazed hers, the soft hair of his mustache rubbing on her skin. She trembled and grasped his shirt collar as he nuzzled gently. The gold and silver necklacs he wore jingled musically as he moved. "Yeah, baby? We get s'more privacy, we can, ah ...get to know each other a lot better."

"Ugh, Zashi. That's the oldest line ever." Elly giggled faintly.

"Aw," he pouted cutely with his lower lip thrust far out. "I just wanna hold you more 'n stuff." They parted with furtive looks around, mindful of the fact that their colleagues were settled in rooms stretched along the dark hallway they could see the opening to.

"Your room is closer," she gave in, hugging him quickly.

He grinned. "Uh huh."

He took her hand and led her to his room, a world of records, stereo equipment and kitsch design from the seventies. There was a yellow shag rug on the floor and the bed was western style with black silk sheets. A golden lava lamp cast a glow across it as he turned it on to create a romantic ambiance. There was more, but she didn't see because his arms wrapped around her and his mouth found hers again, hot and wet and urgent.

"Mnn, that's good." Hizashi licked his lips and sighed, placing his forehead on hers. "No, that's better than good. I've never felt like this before." He sat on the edge of the bed and she followed, curling her tail to the side.

"Me neither."

"So, uh. You heard me over the phone but..." Hizashi gulped nervously. "I - am I gonna freak you out if I confess in person right now?"

Elly thought for a moment. "Oh. Ohhh, Hizashi, oh my god. You won't scare me. I promise." She kissed him rather hard and he blinked, grinning widely at her apparent happiness.

"I guess not, huh? I know our cultures are different an' all, so I hope this comes across right..." He took in a shaky breath and wrapped his arms around her. "We haven't seriously dated, but we've been out an awful lot. We work together in more ways than one, I see you all the time an' I feel like - like I couldn't make it without you. I love you."

Her jaw dropped.

Hizashi had skipped the "like" part of his culture and gone straight to romantic love - a phrase not heard often save for in dramas and movies. She stared at him through a blurry deluge of tears, her body starting to shake.

"Uh..." He startic to panic, stroking the back of her head as she clutched him and sobbed. "You okay, baby?"

"Yeh - eh - ess!" Elly stuttered between breaths.

"Ya kinda freaked," he pointed out mildly.

"Well... I thought I was the only one to have these feelings." She buried her head in his neck, and her next sentence came out slightly muffled. "I thought I was wrong to love you so much."

He perked up, his eyes alight. "You do?"

"I'm so in love with you."

"Shit," he breathed in awe. "Best. Day. Ever." Then his eyes slipped closed in bliss as she kissed his chin, moving down. "Ungh, Ches, that's..."

"I've wanted to do this for too long." She lavished light, open-mouthed kisses all over his throat. "Your Voice turns me on, you know."

"Ohhh." He heard her capitalize the word and understood. "Now there's another totes new thing for me. Everyone always says I'm annoying."

Elly purred, shaking her head. "No. No way. You make me get all shivery when I listen to you, in class, during patrol, on your programs..."

He dropped his tone low, aiming at one of her furry ears. "Do I turn you on that much, babe?"

"Oh, Zashi, yes," she sighed, her tongue laving his jumping pulse.

"No fair," he husked. "Where'm I supposed to kiss for your quirk?" His eyes squinted, and he gave her a wicked grin. "Yours is all over, isn't it?"

She flicked her ears coyly. "Well, I turn invisible wherever - or whatever -- I want."

He bent his head to hers. "Oh? Then where do you want it, Ches?" His lips grazed hers and she felt herself giving in, a slight shifting of her body in preparation to grow limp and let him take over.

They jumped as there was a light but insistent knocking at the door.

Hizashi's eyes clouded over. "Shit," he muttered in English. Then, back in Japanese, "This'd better be good!" He opened the door just a crack so the person on the other side couldn't see fully. Unfortunately, Aizawa barged in anyway.

"You got back a half an hour ago," he grunted. "I texted you twice. What -" He blinked, pausing as he took in the disheveled and blushing woman on his friend's bed. "Cheshire."

"Hey." She waggled her fingers at him in a sheepish hello.

"Hizashi, you know your room here isn't fully soundproofed."

"Yeahhh," Hizashi sighed. "I get it. We're, uh... not doin' anything, uh, really serious."

The homeroom teacher's mouth twitched in a crooked smile. "Oh? Then what were you doing?"

"You sound like Kayama." The blond man grumbled, then sighed as he heard Elly getting up off the bed. "Aww."

"It's okay, Zashi," she told him quietly, placing a hand on his arm. "We were lucky it was Aizawa!"

"True that," he mumbled.

"Not as lucky as you think!" A cheerful voice called out. Kayama stuck her head in the door, a gigantic grin on her face. "I followed Aizawa because I thought we might all go out for drinks! Whatever were you getting up to, you two lovebirds?!"

"If we run, she'll just chase us," Elly remarked clinically.

"Now everybody's gonna know tomorrow," Hizashi groaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment