Saturday, May 23, 2020

King of my Heart 26

"Have you got everything?" Hizashi peered into the backseat of his car, squinting sleepily. "It's so early... yer sure not forgetting anything?"

Elly dragged her feet as she walked, her bloodshot eyes just as weary. She stared halfheartedly at the single suitcase and then lifted her backpack she had slung over one shoulder.

"This is fine, honey. Remember how little I had when I first came here. I don't need much and I only need the suitcase because I'm bringing stuff back home."

"A'ight." He climbed into the driver's seat and waited until she buckled in before pulling out of the garage. "Well, shit. You're only gonna be gone a few days but I already miss you."

"I know. I'm really going to miss you, sweetie. I'm not sure how well I can handle staying with my parents."

"If you need me just call."

"It's a thirteen hour time difference -"

He pulled out of the lot, nodding to the attendant on the way. "I know, princess. An' I'm tellin' ya, I don't care. You need me, you call."

"Okay." She stifled a yawn and Hizashi made the decision to pull into a drive-through coffee shop before heading to the airport. He ordered her a sweet and light coffee, as she liked, and a horrendous monstrosity for himself with far too much caramel syrup and whipped cream.

"Here." He handed hers over with a winning smile.

Elly laughed merrily when he covered himself in cream taking his first big sip. "I love you so freaking much."

He grinned at her and winked.

Their farewells were said in the car before she even got into the airport - she had insisted on it to make things easier for them both. Hizashi didn't like this but when she requested anything he always did what she wanted if at all possible. He saw the logic but he had a tough time with letting go quickly. After he got her suitcase he clung to her in front of the car, kissing her neck and holding her so tightly she gasped for air.

"Zashi, I have to breathe," she reminded him quietly. Her voice was trembling and when he saw how much she was holding back he let go.

"Sorry."

"I'll let you know when I get there safe." She bit her lip, her eyes shining with unshed tears.

"Okay. I love you, baby."

"Love you, too." She squeezed his hand and took a breath, shouldering her pack and picking up her suitcase.

He stood there, his smile faltering as the doors closed behind her and he couldn't see her anymore. His hand slowly dropped to his side and he glanced over, startled, as if realizing at last there were other cars in the drop off section. Hizashi waved an apology to them sheepishly, and the person immediately behind raised their hand and shook their head as if to say, <i>no problem</i>.

He sighed and slid into the seat, preparing himself for the drive back and the long day of worrying about his girl he knew was about to start.

And it was a very long day indeed.

"Hizashi."

The Voice Hero jerked his head up from the stack of homework assignments he was supposed to be grading. He blinked, set his pen down and rubbed his eyes under the prescription sunglasses he wore.

"'Sup, Shota?"

"You don't have any patrols this week, do you?" The scruffy man asked suspiciously. "You're not focusing on anything, and you'll only end up getting in trouble if you try hero work."

"Uh, no. I canceled."

"Good," he grunted. "Now, stop worrying. She's a Pro Hero like us. She can take care of herself."

"I know, kinda, but -"

He raised an eyebrow at him. "But?"

"I dunno." Hizashi sighed, twiddling his pen between his fingers. "Her best friend is really hurt bad, she hates getting separated from me, an' her folks are mean. I'm not gonna feel okay until she's back home."

"She'll be fine."

Toshinori peered over from across the way. "My apologies," he began softly, "but did you say her best friend was injured? That wouldn't be the Mad Hatter, would it?"

"Uh, yeah..?"

The tall man coughed lightly. "I, err - there's been a development." He turned his laptop around so they could see the news he was reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment