Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Beyond the sea 3

 "Why would I..." He blinked. "<i>No!</i> Oh shit, no. I'd never judge someone I just met! Anyway, I don't think I hate anyone, either. Not really? Um. Hate's a strong word." He shook his head violently, holding up his hands in a placating gesture. "I just wanna see you. Please." The startled outburst must have convinced her, because she came a little closer.


Hizashi sat where he was, frozen in place by shock as a woman emerged up to her waist from the water. From the crackling light of the fire he could only see she had pale skin, was wearing some sort of bikini top and had short, dark hair that matched her eyes.

The eyes he'd seen the other night.

The odds of anyone swimming alone at night were astronomical. Everyone knew how dangerous it was. Plus, this was his personal backyard so it was even harder to get into than the public beaches, though those were patroled heavier at night.

"You're actually real?!"

Her rich voice took on a sardonic tone. "Last time I checked."

"Oh. Oh, shit, yeah. Sorry, that was rude of me." He stood, wincing as his knees popped, and brushed the wet sand off his rear with a grimace. Then he smiled and waved shyly. "Hello. My name's Hizashi. I live right over there in that monstrosity."

"My name is Elly..." She paused, then shook her head. "Ugh, habit. I'm not fond of that name, my friends call me Ches."

"Can <i>I</i> call you Ches? I mean, we're not friends or anything ...yet. But I'd like to call you by a name that doesn't make you barf."

She laughed, and his heart soared. "Okay, deal. If I can shorten yours. I tend to do that with people anyway."

"Not a problem, Ches."

"Good... Zashi." She paused, bobbing gently up and down with the small waves rolling into the beach. "So, you live there -" One long finger pointed at the mansion some distance away. "but you spend a lot of time in or near the water. Why?"

He shrugged. "I like it. Some people like cities, some deserts an' all that jazz. But I was raised by the sea, and I think it's the best. Besides, well," he rubbed nervously at his leg, "the bugs. Though it's not bad with bug spray and a fire to ward 'em off."

Elly seemed pleased by this answer. "I've seen you cleaning up here. Thank you, so many of us appreciate that. And the creatures do, too."

He nodded, grinning. "Yeah, saw a sea turtle once and - wow! He sorta just swam by me, staring at me with this gigantic eye... it looked like he was happy."

She hesitated, her hand moving to tuck a strand of hair back and jerking away at the last moment. He got the feeling she was as nervous as he was. "I also wanted to tell you, you have a nice voice."

"Oh!" Hizashi blushed modestly. "Thanks. I'm a music teacher at the college nearby an' I DJ and stuff."

The bell from a nearby church began chiming in the distance and Elly cocked her head sharply at the sound. "Um! I have to go."

"Will you come see me tommorow?" Hizashi found himself begging, his throat dry and heart pounding. He wanted to see her again more than anything. She was strange, took incredible risks and trespassed on his property, but her voice and those <i>eyes</i>..!

"During the day?" She sounded alarmed.

"I don't care when as long as I can see you again. Name a time, a place, anything."

<i>Great job, Hizashi</i>, he thought deprecatingly, <i>desperation is</i> such <i>a turn on</i>.

But she nodded. "I'll come as soon as it's dark. Light a fire on the beach again and wait for me."

"D'ya need help getting - oh." She was gone, eerily slipping into the water without a trace. "Um. Bye."

<i>I'll see you tommorow!</i>




No comments:

Post a Comment