Saturday, January 4, 2020

Aftermath 32

"Uh. Ohhh. First on the schedule today is to pick out your wedding band."

Aizawa glanced up from where he was reading a news article on his phone. "Hmm?"

Elly pointed at her ring. "Jeweler's at ten, Sho."

"Yes! I remember." He set the phone down and sipped from his coffee mug. "It won't take long, Ches. We'll get the other tasks settled as well."

"I hope so." She ran a hand through her hair and sighed. "Do you think I need to wear the tail cover?"

He blinked at her striped tail, waving about in the sunny kitchen. "You don't <i>have</i> to, my queen. I know you hate it."

"It feels so gross." She shuddered.

"The shop owners will be ecstatic about a double Pro marriage, and they'll find out anyway. Our names will be on any forms and receipts."

"But the public..?"

He grinned at her, his eyes half-lidded and still sleepy though this was his second cup. His hair was pulled back into a simple ponytail and he wore black pants and a dark gray shirt. "If word gets around that quickly, let them have it. I don't like the spotlight, but it won't be on us for long."

The mall was packed even at this hour. They were early, so they strolled casually around, his arm low around her waist, and window-shopped until they came to the jewelry store. She grinned at him, and they went inside.

There was only a single customer browsing, so a clerk immediately made his way to them with an ingratiating smile on his features.

"May I help you?"

"Yes," Aizawa said quietly. "I purchased an engagement ring for my girlfriend a week ago. We're back to look at wedding bands for me."

"Wedding -" The man stopped and blinked several times at them both. Realization slowly crept onto his features as he saw Elly's tail, and he appeared stunned. However, he was nothing but polite as he ushered them to his desk, spouting congratulations as they went. "I'm so happy for you both."

"Thank you." She blushed. "He chose one that can be fused onto another he got me to make my wedding band." She held out her hand to show him and he nodded.

"Mm hmm. I recognize the rings. Very practical as well as beautiful. We can do this fairly quickly, as well."

"Good," Aizawa grunted. "Then we can schedule it for the right time." He brought out his phone and started digging through his calendar searching for a good date.

"But we don't know about him," Elly continued. "He's never really worn any jewelry before and his job will make it tough."

The clerk raised an eyebrow at him, and he sighed and held his phone out. It displayed his lock screen, which was a photo of the couple in their hero garb. The man's eyebrows both shot up this time.

"Oh. Oh! I'm sorry, it's just that you're  - um -- "

"Not a popular hero," he finished for him. "On purpose. I'm not offended, let's just pick something suitable."

It really didn't take long, nor did she think it would. They chose a date to fuse hers together and craft his, then a fitting. It would align nicely with time to spare.

Now Aizawa had an extra surprise for her. "I have another place to look at rings."

"But you just picked yours."

He pointed, and her eyes followed his finger to the sign. "A tattoo parlor?!"

They walked in and he approached the desk. The woman sitting there was drawing in a sketchpad, and she looked up and smiled at them with all three of her oversized eyes.

"Aizawa. I have an eleven o'clock appointment."

"Yep. It's right here, with Bill. You're lucky, he's the best we have. <i>Bill!</i>" She called out, cupping her hand to her mouth. "Your eleven's here!"

"Hey, welcome. I'm just washing up, take a seat."

Elly followed him as he sat in the seat the man gestured at. "Are you sure, Sho?"

"Most active heroes choose rings to wear while they're casual and tattoo their fingers to wear while they're on patrol."

"I've heard of that," Elly said, her ears slowly tilting backward. "Doesn't it hurt right on the bone like that?"

Aizawa's expression grew very still and he cautiously replied. "I expect it will a bit. But we often deal with more pain than this in our line if work." She frowned a little, and he took her hand in his. "I'm going to do this, but you don't need to. Nor do you need to watch, my queen. Why don't you go check out that candy place you like? Go splurge for tonight. I might even be persuaded to try some..."

She giggled like a schoolgirl and shook her head. "No, you won't, mister. Not unless they have salmiakki."

"Hmm. Do you think they will?" His gray eyes lit up and she laughed louder. He pulled her down for a kiss before she wandered out, her tail swishing lively about her.

"You marrying Cheshire, huh?"

"Yes." He blinked calmly at the tattoo artist, a man that could inject ink with his pen-like fingertips.

"Good for you both. You wanted a plain band, right? I mean, these're quick, even detailed. I could do something a little more personalized."

Aizawa began to look slightly interested. "Could you make it cat themed?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment