Friday, May 14, 2021

Mermay 2021: 9

 The man the base sent was the biggest she'd seen in her life, so bulked up that his blue military uniform barely fit him. He had stern, sea-green eyes that coldly stared into people and fiery red hair.


Kan let him into the back of the aquarium with the convalescent pool with a warning look to his boss. Before he left he mouthed the words, "<i>don't fuck with this one</i>".

Elly took a deep breath and walked over to him.

"Chief Mate from the installation down the road." He jerked one meaty hand out with a surly grunt. "Enji Todoroki."

"Elly. Elly Sketchit." She gingerly shook his hand and then gestured towards the computer panels. "It's over here, Chief." As she unlocked a drawer he stood behind her in an intimidating manner, looming over her shoulder.

"I understand you've been wearing the item in question."

Elly sighed as she pulled out a bag containing the necklace. This is where it got tricky, and she'd been hoping it wouldn't come up. "I did several times at the bequest of my fiance, since he thought it was his to give. At first I didn't know, but when I realized it wasn't a replica, I reported it as soon as I could." She pointedly gestured at the waterproof bag as she handed it over. "I've since taken action to store it safely."

His eyebrows raised and he "hmph'd" under his breath as he stared at the shining jewelry.

"Didn't report this to the local police..."

"It's an artifact from a wreck, not to be confused by lost modern jewelry. There was no need to contact the police - which is why I contacted your offices as soon as I knew what it was."

"And your ah, fiance, he would be the salvor. Is there a reason <i>he</i> did not contact us?" He looked a little smug as he asked the question.

<i>I can't contact other humans</i>, Aizawa thought. <i>She can't say that, of course. I understand he might be suspicious, but what's with that face</i>?! He stayed where he was, his tail enabling him to blend perfectly in the seaweed around the small cave built for refuse at the deep end of the pool.

"He was more comfortable with me reporting it since I'm in contact with maritime authorities from time to time." She shrugged. "It's like lawyer-speak... some people just aren't good at it, and I know a lot of folks that work here due to my job."

"Look, we need the truth," the huge man told her with a sudden rush of anger. "There's no way that someone pulled a single piece of valuable jewelry from a wreck and ignored the rest. Tell me where it is. Now." He grasped her upper arm in one giant hand. Aizawa's anger began to boil when the stocky human male grabbed her, but she remained firm.

"I told you, he said he only found this."

"Could we perhaps get his information so that we can talk with him? And he <i>will</i> collaborate your story, correct?" He squeezed a little harder and she winced slightly at his grip.

The pain in her eyes was all Aizawa needed to see. The water churned in the pool and he launched himself up and out at the startled man, his own eyes blazing red and his teeth snapping in the air inches from his face.

He was so furious he could barely speak, and when he did it was a guttural, growling snarl only intelligible to Elly due to their association.

"<i>Get away from my mate</i>!"





No comments:

Post a Comment